The Albino Squirrels

Friday, May 30, 2014

A Plethora Of Photos

Hallo!a
Two posts within a span of 24 hours – I must say, I’m pretty impressed with myself right now. Here’s to hoping that I can keep this up, but if there is too much blog silence, please feel free to send me strongly worded messages.
I spent most of my morning running around the city crossing everything off my long list of things to do, and it felt so wonderful finally being done with everything. Random story of the day: I went to register in the Rathausb in Gerbrunn, and they gave me a “welcome to the town” present! Normally, you would expect something like a flag, or a pen, but no, Gerbrunn refuses to conform to such norms. They gave me a giant roll of trash-bags. I don’t have to buy trash-bags now, so thank you Gerbrunn?
I’ve been going to the Marktplatzc in Würzburg every day since I got here, but today, I actually explored it. We finally had a day without rain! After a terribly cold and cloudy morning, the sun came out this afternoon, and it was absolutely gorgeous outside. I walked around the Marktplatz for hours. The Marktplatz is located in the Old Town.
DSC01330DSC01332DSC01353DSC01389
DSC01324
Brief history of Würzburg: During World War II, the city of Würzburg was completely destroyed in 17 minutes by the 225 British Lancaster bombers. Only 3% of the city remained. Buildings of historical importance were accurately replicated.
Würzburg is home to some of the finest Baroque architecture in Europe. Being an Art History nerd, I have been in absolute awe by all the architecture in the city. The city is fairly cluttered, and the buildings are huge which makes it difficult to take good photos, but I tried, and I will probably keep trying for the next three months.
St. Mary’s Chapel:
DSC01319DSC01320
DSC01336
Dom St. Kilian:
DSC01357DSC01360
While in the city, I ran into two of my friends (it’s such a small city – you run into everyone!), and we went to see the river.
The Romantic Road
The Romantic Road
Sights from The Romantic Road #1
View from The Romantic Road #1
View from the Romantic Road #2
View from the Romantic Road #2
Marienberg Fortress
View of the Marienberg Fortress
View of Alte Mainbrücke (Old Main Bridge)
View of the Alte Mainbrücke (Old Main Bridge)
Locks of love
Locks of love
Street performer
Street performer
Take note of the two beer bottles in his hand
Take note of the two beer bottles in his hand
We also found the gummy bear store. It was the highlight of my day.
Gummy bear heaven
Gummy bear heaven
I didn't realize how many different kinds of gummy bears existed
I didn’t realize how many different kinds of gummy bears existed
Gummy bear pizza and cake
Gummy bear pizza and gummy bear cakes
A plethora of photos isn’t complete without random pictures that don’t fit in anywhere:
DSC01361
Würzburg has more bakeries in close vicinity than I could have ever dreamed possible
I took a picture, and he said danke schön, which means thank you very much in German.
I took a picture, and he said, danke schön, which means thank you very much in German
Once again, can we discuss how delicious gelato in Würzburg is?
Once again, can we discuss how delicious gelato in Würzburg is?
Till next time, freilos!d


Translation of German words:
a. Hello
b. Town Hall
c. Marketplace
d. Bye
 photo numasig.png

No comments:

Post a Comment