The Albino Squirrels

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Twelve Hours, Two Cities

I almost feel obliged to start off every post with an apology for my lack of posts which is partially from being so caught up with everything here, and partially because I feel like I have fallen so behind in updating this blog that I don’t know where to begin anymore. So here’s an apology and somewhat of a promise to get better at this.
I took a day trip to Nürnberg with Annie, Angela, Sophia, and Cristin. Nürnberg is a city in the German state of Bavaria, more commonly known as Nuremberg to us Americans – think Nuremberg trials during World War II!
Left to right: Cristi, Angela, Numa, Sophia, Annie
Left to right: Cristin, Angela, Numa, Sophia, Annie
We spent the entire day on foot, walking everywhere from the old city to the castle to the first Bratwurst house in the world. Despite having a map, we got fairly lost for at least an hour, but I’ve learned that sometimes it’s the best way to see a city. If I had to briefly describe Nürnberg, I would say it looked like a bigger, more touristy Würzburg.
DSC01609DSC01621DSC01622DSC01641DSC01634
That evening, we made a spontaneous decision to take the train to Erlangen so Cristin and I could attend our very first beer festival. You know what they say – when in Germany, do as the Germans do. Erlangen is a Middle Franconian city in Bavaria, and much to our convenience, only a 30 minute train ride from Nuremberg! Since we got to Erlangen fairly late, I didn’t get to see much of the city other than the beer festival, but that in itself was worth the trip. I was told that the beer festival in Erlangen was much like Oktoberfest, world’s largest beer festival held annually in Munich. My thoughts upon entering the festival were literally, “is this real life?” It looked like something out of a movie – there was a huge ferris wheel, multiple carnival rides, huge pretzels, live music, people dancing on tables/benches with liter jugs of beer in their hand. Needless to say, it was quite a sight. Germans sure know how to party.
IMG_3686IMG_3690
In Annie’s humble opinion, “it was the best day of my entire life.” And I must say, Nuremberg and Erlangen certainly did live up to their expectations.
I have approximately three more blog posts I want to do before I go to Berlin this weekend, and I will hopefully do them all before Friday. Till then, machs gut!a


Translation of German words:
a. Take care
 photo numasig.png

No comments:

Post a Comment