The Albino Squirrels

Monday, June 2, 2014

Day 8 - I almost did not have a picture for today, but I didn't want to leave y'all hanging.

Today's picture was almost me in a hat.
"I'm going to leave you with some nightmares. So Wurzburg was an American Army base, right? They used to hang people in Galgenberg."

I'm not going to lie to you, I only took two photos today. I just started work today in the astronomy department here, and the day has been full of meeting new people, learning new things, and finding a new pair of pants. I really wasn't sure what I was going to post, but one of the graduate students happened to be on the same bus as Robby, Thomas, and I. This graduate student was the one that I shared my office with (that's right. I get an office. Be jealous.) and was helping me transition to German culture all day. He even taught me the word Servus which is a common greeting here in Baravia. It literally means slave, but it translates to something along the lines of "I'm at your service". Really awesome guy!

Anyways, back to the story. So he gets onto the bus with us, and stirs up a conversation about the department and about Mexico and about the states and Germany, but my stop soon approached. He wanted to leave me with some nightmares for the night by sharing a bit of Wurzburg's history with us. Apparently, Wurzburg was an American army base until a few years ago until the building got remodeled to the school I'm attending now. The dorm I'm staying at, Galgenberg, was apparently used to hang people back in the day. That's lovely. I didn't think too much about it until walking home and seeing this sign on the main building. I'm not exactly sure what Galgenfete is, but it sure reminds me of some hangings that used to go on here. This was literally a sign that I had to use this story for today.

 photo josephsig-1.png



No comments:

Post a Comment